We almost didn’t post this recipe. Making cornbread was such a simple, every day thing for Mama Peggy that she never thought about writing down a recipe. Who needs a recipe for cornbread? Well, some of us do! And here’s how you can make it like Mama Peggy.
- 2 lg eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup Crisco
- 2 cups self-rising corn meal mix
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Coat 8 or 9 inch skillet or cornbread pan with Crisco.
- Beat egg in medium bowl.
- Stir in buttermilk, Criscon corn meal, and flour and mix until smooth. Batter should be pour-able. If too thick, add a little more buttermilk.
- Place the skillet or cornbread pan you prepared into the oven 7 to 8 minutes until hot (this helps with your crust).
- Pour your prepared mixture in the the skillet or pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- For a little extra richness, remove cornbread after it has started to rise and coat the top with butter, then place back in the oven to finish.