This is the perfect pound cake for folks who like a little of that lemon zing. It’s not as super-sweet as most of the lemon pound cake recipes our there.
Lemon Pound Cake
The perfect pound cake for that lemon zing.
- ½ lb butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon flavoring
- 3 cups flour
- Grease and flour a tube pan.
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg added.
- Mix in the vanilla and the milk.
- Sift in the dry ingredients.
- Pour mixture into pan and place on low rack in a cold oven.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- If you want a glaze, just mix 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 1 to 2 tbsp milk, and pour over top of the cooled cake.
These recipes take me back to my childhood. I can see my Grandma making these right now. I was raised in Gaffney S.C.