While it’s not specifically a Southern thing, you’d find pepper steak on a lot of plates in the South. It’s such a quick, easy dish that no recipe collection is complete without it.
You'll find pepper steak on a lot of plates in the South
- 2 lbs round steak in 1/2 inch strips
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 onion medium
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 2 green peppers cut in strips
- 4 tomatoes quartered
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Brown the strip of round steak in oil.
- Add the onion, soy sauce, sugar, seasonings, green pepper, tomatoes and water.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water and add.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve as-is or over some rice.
I tell you Mama Peggy, I’ve fallen in love!! Thank you, I can now fix recipes my mama & grandma used to cook but I just never could get right!! I was missing some of her (your) ingredients! Thank you! And Merry Christmas