Collard greens are such a regular part of traditional Southern diet that most cooks in the South don’t realize that some people need a recipe for it. Well, here you go. Collard greens done in Southern style.
Southern Collard Greens
Collard greens are such a regular part of traditional Southern diet that most cooks in the South don't realize that some people need a recipe for it.
- 5 lbs collard greens
- ½ lb bacon
- ½ onion
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Soak greens in cold water several times to get rid of any grit.
- Pull the tender leaves away from the stems and throw away the stems.
- Cut bacon into bite size pieces and fry in a large stock pot. Do not drain.
- Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add your collard greens (the pot will seem like it's overflowing, but the collards wilt).
- Stir until collard have wilted (covering them every couple of minutes for a few minutes will help wilt them).
- Add salt and pepper to taste and the vinegar.
- Serve hot.