There are lots of ways to make breaded chicken, but this one is unexpectedly scrumptuous. It takes a little while longer, but it’s worth the wait!
Crouton Breaded Chicken
There are lots of ways to make breaded chicken, but this one is unexpectedly scrumptious. It takes a little while longer, but it's worth the wait!
- 2 (4 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded to 1/2 inch thickness)
- ⅓ cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1 oz fat free croutons
- Olive oil in spray bottle (not from grocery store; that contains propellant)
- Put chicken in medium resealable plastic bag.
- Pour buttermilk over and seal the bag. Let soak 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly mist a small, non-stick pan or sheet with spray.
- Add the croutons to a plastic bag. Pound them with the flat side of a mallet until crush very fine.
- Put the crumbs into a shallow bowl.
- Remove chicken breast from the bag and let excess drip off. Dip it into crumbs, rotating it to cover the breast completely.
- Place breaded breast onto the prepared sheet so that breasts don't touch.
- If crumbs remain, press them into top of remaining breasts.
- Lightly spray top of breasts with spray.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then carefully, being sure not to remove the coating, flip them.
- Lightly mist the tops with spray and continue to bake for 3 to 5 minutes more or until the coating is crisp and chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Serve immediately.