Chocolate gravy was a treat in the Chaney household when Mama Peggy was growing up. It seems to be unique to the Appalachians, but made it at least as far as the North Carolina foothills.
A uniquely Southern tradition. Makes about 2 cups.
Author: Peggy Chaney
Recipe type: Dessert
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine cocoa, flour and sugar in a heavy saucepan.
- Whisk in milk.
- Heat over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Add vanilla and butter to hot mixture.
- Serve warm over biscuits.