This is one of those recipes that you might not think you’ll like until you try it. But once you do, you’ll be glad you did!
Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups
This is one of those recipes that you might not think you'll like until you try it. But once you do, you'll be glad you did! ~ Mama Peggy
Author: Peggy Chaney
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 14 uncooked Lasagna noodles
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 & ½ Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 & ½ cups 1% low fat milk
- 1 & ¾ tsp. salt,divided
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper, divided
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 (16-oz) bag frozen cut leaf spinach, thawed
- 1 (24-oz.small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook 7 lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Remove with tongs or a slotted spoon to a large bowl of cold water.
- Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Drain noodles, and arrange in a single layer on clean paper towels.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Cook onions in hot oil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until onion is caramel colored.
- Add garlic, and saute 1 minute. Reserve ¼ cup cup onion mixture.
- Whisk flour into remaining onion mixture in saucepan, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Cook over medium heat whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in ¾ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. pepper, and ⅛ tsp. nutmeg.
- Spoon ½ cup sauce into lightly greased 13 x 9 inch. baking dish.
- Drain spinach well, pressing between paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Stir together spinach, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg, reserved ¼ cup onion mixture, and remaining 1 tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Spread about 3 Tbsp. spinach mixture over 1 noodle; roll up firmly and place, seam side down, in prepared baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining noodles and spinach mixture.
- Spoon remaining sauce over roll-ups and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.