Red Velvet Layer Cake
A classic red velvet cake recipe that Mama Peggy only made on rare occasions. A treat!
Author: Peggy Chaney
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 3 med eggs
- 3 1 oz bottles red food coloring
- 3¼ cups plain flour
- 2 heaping tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tbsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease and flour cake pans.
- Cream sugar and shortening in large mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Continue to mix slowly and add eggs one at a time.
- Whip until mixture is light and fluffy.
- In small mixing bowl, make a paste of cocoa and food coloring.
- Add to creamed mixture, whipping again until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Mixing batter, slowly add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk and vanilla.
- Mix until smooth and fluffy!
- Continue mixing slowly and sprinkle soda on top of batter and fold in.
- Fold in vinegar, then whip batter until light and fluffy.
- Fill pans and bake 30 to 40 minutes until done.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
For icing, see "Red Velvet Layer Cake Icing"
Serving size: 1 slice Calories: 590 Fat: 33.8 g Saturated fat: 8.5 g Unsaturated fat: 16.4 g Carbohydrates: 65.1 g Sugar: 45.4 g Fiber: 1.2 g Protein: 5.7 g Cholesterol: 40.7 mg
For icing, see “Red Velvet Layer Cake Icing“.