An old family recipe from the kitchen of Mama Peggy, found on a notepad in a box filled with some of her favorite recipes. Mama Peggy’s was renowned for many of the things she cooked, but those who sampled her chocolate pound cake considered themselves blessed! This is the best chocolate pound cake you’ll ever taste.
Mama Peggy’s Chocolate Pound Cake
- 2 sticks butter or margarine
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup Crisco
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sweet milk (that's just means regular milk)
- 6 tbsp cocoa
- 6 tbsp HOT canned milk (about ½ cup)
- 6 tbsp butter or margarine
- 3 cups powdered / confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat butter and shortening.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl then add alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
- Bake in a greased pan at 325° for 1 hour 25 minutes, or until chocolate pound cake bounces back when touched lightly in the center with finger.
- Dissolve the cocoa in the hot milk.
- Put the sugar, butter and vanilla into a bowl (do not melt the butter).
- Pour in the cocoa/milk mixture and stir (or use a mixer on low setting) until the butter is melted and the icing is smooth and creamy.
- Spread evenly over the top of the finished cake (but not before cake has cooled completely).