Chicken and Dumplings (My sister Edith's recipe)
A wonderful recipe for home made chicken & dumplings.
Author: Peggy Chaney
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 Hen or 4 large Chicken Breasts (do not remove skin)
- 1 stick of margarine
- Seasoning;salt and pepper
- 4 Cups plain flour, sifted
- Cook chicken in large pot (cover chicken with water) until well done. Let cool.
- Remove chicken from pot. Shred and save until later.
- Pour 2 cups cooled broth into bed of flour to form dough.
- Divide dough into several pieces and roll out with rolling pin.
- Cut dough into strips.
- Reheat broth in pot to rolling boil.
- Add margarine (or butter) and allow to melt.
- Drop dumplings into boiling broth. Let boil 5 to 10 minutes.
- Put shredded chicken back into pot and boil 5 minutes more.
I love boiled, sliced eggs in mine, added last, before serving